- Breaking news updates December 5, 2021: Get latest news, breaking news, latest updates, live news, top headlines, breaking business news and top news of the hour.
Updated on Dec 05, 2021 05:14 PM IST
Welcome to hindustantimes.com live updates platform where you can find breaking news from India and across the world. Find fast updates about the latest news as it breaks.
Missed an important news update? Worried about what is happening in the world of finance and how it will impact you? Want to know about the latest update on Covid-19? Don’t worry, we have you covered.
Follow all the updates here:
Dec 05, 2021 05:14 PM IST
AIIMS Bilaspur to be ready by next June, says JP Nadda
We have come to a conclusion that AIIMS Bilaspur would be completely ready by June 2022 and dedicated to the people. Also, under PM Modi, construction work of 22 other AIIMS is underway: BJP president JP Nadda in Bilaspur
Dec 05, 2021 04:43 PM IST
BJP will form govt with 2-3rd majority in Rajasthan: Amit Shah
BJP will form govt in 2023 with two-third mandate in Rajasthan, says Union home minister in Rajasthan.
Dec 05, 2021 03:46 PM IST
Over 3 crore ITRs filed: Finance Ministry
More than three crore income tax returns have been filed for the financial year 2020-21 so far. The number of ITRs filed per day is over four lakh and increasing everyday as the extended due date of December 31 is approaching: Ministry of Finance
Dec 05, 2021 03:10 PM IST
ED records statement of Param Bir Singh
Enforcement Directorate records statement of former Mumbai Police commissioner Param Bir Singh in connection with an alleged money laundering case.
Dec 05, 2021 02:29 PM IST
Pakistan logs 372 new Covid-19 cases
Pakistan records 372 fresh Covid-19 cases and 6 deaths. Total tally rises to 1,286,825 including 1,245,606 recoveries, 28,767 deaths and 12,452 active cases.
Dec 05, 2021 01:26 PM IST
‘What exactly is home ministry doing’: Rahul on civilian killing in Nagaland
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Sunday said the incident of civilian killing in Nagaland during an Army operation in heart-wrenching. The government must give a real reply, the Congress leader said. Read More
Dec 05, 2021 12:39 PM IST
In first weke of winter session, Rajya Sabha lost 52.30% of scheduled sitting time: Report
Rajya Sabha has lost 52.30% of the scheduled sitting time during the first week of the ongoing winter session that concluded last Friday on account of “disruptions and forced adjournments,” reports news agencies.
Dec 05, 2021 11:36 AM IST
First omicron case detected in Delhi
First omicron case detected in Delhi. The patient admitted to LNJP Hospital had returned from Tanzania. Till now, 17 people who tested positive for Covid have been admitted to the hospital: Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain
Dec 05, 2021 10:36 AM IST
Deeply regret killing of civilians during anti-insurgency operation in Nagaland: Army
The Security Forces have suffered severe injuries in the operation including one soldier who succumbed to his injuries. The incident and its aftermath is deeply regretted, says Assam Rifles officials in statement.
Dec 05, 2021 10:30 AM IST
‘Moment of great pride’ as over 50% of eligible population fully vaccinated: Health minister
“It is a moment of great pride as over 50% of the eligible population are now fully vaccinated,” says Union Health Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya
Total vaccinations stand at 1,27,61,83,065, as per the Health Ministry.
Dec 05, 2021 09:43 AM IST
Anguished over unfortunate incident in Nagaland’s Oting: Shah
“Anguished over unfortunate incident in Nagaland’s Oting, Mon. I express my deepest condolences to families of those who have lost their lives. A high-level SIT constituted by State govt will thoroughly probe this incident to ensure justice to the bereaved families,” tweets home minister Amit Shah.
Dec 05, 2021 09:43 AM IST
India reports 8,895 fresh Covid cases as confirmed Omicron infections rise to 4
India’s Covid-19 tally was increased by 8,895 cases , according to the Union ministry of health and family welfare.
Dec 05, 2021 09:25 AM IST
Puducherry govt makes Covid vaccination compulsory in Union Territory with immediate effect
Dec 05, 2021 08:17 AM IST
13 dead in Indonesia’s Semeru volcanic eruption
The death toll from the eruption of Indonesia’s Mount Semeru rose to 13 on Sunday, the national disaster mitigation agency spokesman told AFP, as rescuers dashed to free people trapped in the debris.
“The death toll is now 13 people. Rescuers found more bodies,” Abdul Muhari told AFP by phone, adding that as many as 10 trapped people had been rescued alive.
Dec 05, 2021 07:59 AM IST
Cyclone Jawad impact: Odisha, West Bengal, Assam to receive heavy rainfall
While Cyclone Jawad weakening into a deep depression brought relief for coastal areas of Odisha, northern Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal, the system is expected to cause heavy rainfall at isolated places in the three impacted states. Read More
Dec 05, 2021 07:15 AM IST
‘Omicron variant has higher transmissibility rate’: Maharashtra health minister
Maharashtra health minister Rajesh Tope has said that the latest mutation of coronavirus (Omicron), which was first detected in South Africa, has a higher rate of transmissibility. However, the symptoms caused by it remain mild. “The Omicron variant of coronavirus has a higher transmissibility rate but its symptoms are mild, ” he said on Saturday.
Dec 05, 2021 05:52 AM IST
Assam journalist booked under sedition charges over article on lawyer’s arrest
A journalist was charged with sedition on Saturday in Assam’s Silchar district, allegedly for writing an article on the arrest of lawyer Pradip Dutta Roy in a local news website, police said.
Thank you for subscribing to our daily newsletter.
Pope Francis calls neglect of migrants ‘shipwreck of civilisation’ in Lesbos
- On the second day of his visit to Greece, he met a small group of mostly child asylum seekers standing behind metal barriers, with one bystander saying “love you”, prompting the pontiff to affectionately greet the infants.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 03:50 PM IST
UK planning to rollout Merck’s anti-Covid pill as soon as Christmas: Report
- The UK approved Molnupiravir In November. It was one of the first nations to approve the oral pill to treat patients suffering from mild to moderate Covid-19.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:58 PM IST
Indonesia volcanic eruption: Smoldering debris from Semeru hinders rescue ops
- Mount Semeru in Lumajang district in East Java province spewed thick columns of ash more than 12,000 meters (40,000 feet) into the sky, and searing gas and lava flowed down its slopes after a sudden eruption Saturday triggered by heavy rains.
Updated on Dec 05, 2021 02:57 PM IST
AP | , Lumajang, Indonesia
3 injured as Myanmar soldiers ram car into protest
- The country has been in turmoil since February when the military seized power, triggering nationwide demonstrations which the junta sought to quell with violent crackdowns and mass arrests.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:56 PM IST
Didi departure from NYSE marks end of Wall Street romance with Chinese big tech
- Only five months transpired between Didi’s going public in New York in June and word Friday that it will prepare a Hong Kong listing. During that time its market value has fallen by 63 percent.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:54 PM IST
NEET-PG counselling delay: RML resident doctors to boycott emergency services
- The out-patient department (OPD) services in RML Hospital has already been affected along with those of two other hospitals—Safdarjung and Lady Hardinge—in the Capital.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:53 PM IST
Incomplete Saddam-era marquee mosque lays bare Iraq divisions
- Instead, the half-finished edifice of grey concrete stands in the heart of Baghdad as testimony to the sectarian and political strife that has shaped much of Iraq’s modern history.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:50 PM IST
‘Metaverse’ hype fuels booming digital property market
- “Metaverse” has been a Silicon Valley buzzword for months, but interest soared in October after Facebook’s parent company renamed itself “Meta” as it shifts its focus towards VR.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:45 PM IST
Austerity, far right, feminism: Merkel’s ambivalent legacy
- While largely admired at home and abroad even in the final days of her reign, the legacy Merkel leaves behind is marked both by light and shadows.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:42 PM IST
UAE says French Rafale fighter jets not a substitute for US F-35 warplanes
The Gulf Arab state on Friday ordered 80 Rafales made by Dassault Aviation and 12 Caracal military helicopters made by Airbus Helicopters in an arms contract worth 17 billion euros ($19.2 billion).
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:37 PM IST
Thousands block roads in Serbia to protest mining project
- In the capital Belgrade, protesters swarmed a major highway and bridge linking the city to outlying suburbs as the crowd chanted anti-government slogans while some held signs criticising the mining project.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 02:32 PM IST
Indonesia Semeru volcanic eruption kills 13; 10 evacuated
Indonesia’s disaster mitigation agency previously said dozens have been hospitalised, mostly suffering from burns.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 08:17 AM IST
Omicron alarm: What are the new testing rules for inbound US, UK travellers?
- The new variant of concern, Omicron, has prompted the United States and Britain to issue revised guidelines for incoming travellers.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 07:19 AM IST
China military operations near Taiwan resemble ‘rehearsals’: Pentagon chief
- In recent months, the Chinese military has mounted an increasingly aggressive series of sea and air military operations near Taiwan, which it claims as its own.
Published on Dec 05, 2021 06:58 AM IST